Becoming a Volunteer
Thank you for your interest in volunteering! Volunteers are an integral part of our team and share our commitment to provide exceptional experiences to patients, families, our communities, and to one another. Every day you will find our volunteers going above and beyond, ensuring interactions are personal and positive. The outcome is a better experience for all.“I volunteer to help others and to improve their day, my days are brighter as a result.”
– M Health Fairview Volunteer
M Health Fairview St. John’s Hospital
1575 Beam Avenue, Maplewood MN 55109
Adult Application: M Health Fairview St. John's Hospital Adult Volunteer Application
High School Volunteer Application: M Health Fairview St. John's Hospital High School Volunteer Application
E-mail volunteer services coordinator: Julie Slipka
M Health Fairview Southdale Hospital
6401 France Avenue, Edina MN 55435
Adult Volunteer Application: M Health Fairview Southdale Hospital Adult Volunteer Application
High School Volunteer Application: M Health Fairview Southdale Hospital High School Volunteer Application
Frequently Asked Questions
- Patient Companionship
- Clinical Support
- Administrative Support
- Off-Site Virtual Support
A volunteer coordinator will be able to provide details for each location.
Volunteers must be 15 years old. Volunteers under 18 years of age will be required to submit a parental permission slip.
- Apply: Submit an online application
- Interview: Participate in an interview
- Learn: Complete online learning
- Screen: Background Check and Fingerprinting, TB test, proof of vaccines
- Orient: Online orientation prior to first shift
This depends on the motivation of the applicant. After submitting your application, you will be contacted by a volunteer services coordinator to set up an interview. After the interview, you will have 30 days to complete the screening process and online orientation. Most applicants can complete these activities within two weeks.
M Health Fairview has developed an approach to safely allow for volunteers to support various volunteer needs across the system in accordance with system safety and training guidelines. Volunteers will be required to comply with all social distancing and masking policies and our team will round to ensure adherence.
Are You a Good Fit?
We are seeking volunteers that are at least 15 years old and meet the following criteria:
- You are reliable, since our patients, families and staff count on you to be here when you are scheduled.
- Many of our roles function fairly independently. Volunteers who are the most successful are the ones who take initiative and are proactive.
- Commit to a minimum of 100 hours over several months.
- You have a professional and positive attitude.
- The patients and families we serve are likely feeling stressed and overwhelmed. The empathy and compassion you provide make a difference in their experience.
Each task or interaction, no matter how big or small, can positively impact someone’s experience. Volunteers with a service-oriented mindset can help make a positive impact.
Information Center for Current Volunteers
Click on you volunteer location in order to: log your volunteer hours, check your schedule and pick up open shifts, manage your contact information, and access mandatory annual education and other training.